We all should drink more water: here’s why

We all should drink more water: here’s why

March 9, 2020 1:01 pm Published by

When it comes to dental health, choosing a drink is a no-brainer: water is the very best beverage you can choose. Water is calorie-free, sugar-free and additive-free. And, it helps maintain best health. Each of us is made up of 45–65 % water, so having a glass of the clear stuff is the perfect way to top up your natural resources. Read on for more about why water is so great, how it can help you, and easy ways to get more water in your daily routine.

  • The benefits of water

Water is the simplest and the best drink to choose. It is essential for a healthy body, helping your cells function correctly. Estimates are that you should look to source 80% of your daily water supply directly by drinking it, with the remaining 20% being in food. If you don’t stay hydrated, it will seriously limit your body’s ability to look after itself.

  • How water can help you

For teeth, water helps health on two counts. First, it acts like a cleaning agent, helping flush out food particles and bacteria from between teeth, and keeping clear them clear of decay-causing activity. It’s like a spring clean for your smile! Water also replenishes the saliva supply in your saliva glands, found under the bottom of your mouth. Your saliva helps neutralize acid, created by bacteria, that attacks tooth enamel.

  • Avoid imitations

Water is the best choice because, quite simply, it’s the original. The water you drink is the same water that’s found in your body. So if you’re thirsty and you choose another drink, then you are choosing to consume something you probably don’t need. For example, soft drinks and sports drinks can contain large amounts of sugar, as do some cordials. This sugar acts as food for bacteria in your mouth, creating damaging acid. So you might think you’re drinking something healthy but actually you are probably causing harm to your teeth. This effect is compounded if you sip frequently – because it increases the amount of time that sugar is around your teeth. Some drinks also contain additives that, in large doses, aren’t good for you. Even sugar-free fizzy drinks contain citric, phosphoric and carbonic acids, all of which attack your teeth. In fact, they’re more harmful than the sugar!

  • Isn’t fruit juice healthy?

Unfortunately, fruit juice is a concentrated attack on your teeth. Fruit in its whole form is good for you, with the fibre content stimulating saliva production, and acting as a delaying tactic for sugar absorption into the blood stream. However, fruit juice is very high in sugar – but without the fibre. Combined with bacteria and acid, it actually softens tooth enamel when you drink it. If you must have a glass for breakfast, make sure you follow it with a glass of acid-neutralizing water afterwards.

  • How to drink more water

• Keep a well-sized bottle of water by your desk at work or at home. The chances are, you will swig from it frequently without even realizing you’re upping your water intake. This is much easier than trying to drink a whole glass in one attempt. • If you are on the go, invest in a proper water bottle that you can refill. A flask will keep your water cold through the day. Stainless steel is good, or if you prefer lightweight plastic, make sure its BPA-free. • Choosing room temperature rather than cold water can work for some people, especially if you have sensitive teeth. Tepid water is less likely to trigger a reaction, encouraging you to drink more. • If you exercise, make sure you have water with you so you can stay hydrated while you’re sweating!

  • Further tips

Make sure your dental health is the best it can be. Brush twice a day, and use a fluoride toothpaste to help keep your teeth strong. Floss regularly and use a mouthwash to counteract harmful bacteria in the mouth. Finally make sure you visit a dentist such as Drs. Nicolas & As every six months.

Categorised in:

This post was written by admin